The Vegetarian Resource Group each year will award $20,000 in college scholarship money to graduating U.S. high school students who have promoted vegetarianism in their schools and/or communities. Vegetarians do not eat meat, fish, or fowl. Vegans are vegetarians who do not use other animal products such as dairy or eggs.
One award of $10,000 and two awards of $5,000 will be given. Entries may only be sent by students graduating from high school in SPRING 2018.
Deadline is FEBRUARY 20, 2018.
We will accept applications postmarked on or before FEBRUARY 20, 2018. Early submission is encouraged.
Applicants will be judged on having shown compassion, courage, and a strong commitment to promoting a peaceful world through a vegetarian diet/lifestyle. Payment will be made to the student’s college (U.S. based only). Winners of the scholarships give permission to release their names to the media. Applications and essays become property of The Vegetarian Resource Group. We may ask finalists for more information. Scholarship winners are contacted by e-mail or telephone. Please look at your e-mail.
If you would like to donate to additional scholarships or internships, go to www.vrg.org/donate
Please click here to download a PDF of the application. However, applicants are not required to use an application form. A neatly typed document containing the information below will also be accepted as a valid application.
Please send application and attachments to The Vegetarian Resource Group, P.O. Box 1463, Baltimore, MD 21203. For more information call (410) 366-8343 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
I. When applying, please include the following:
(Use additional paper if necessary.)
II. Please submit an essay addressing the following:
- How you promoted vegetarianism in your high school and/or community
- Your successes
- Your challenges
- What you learned/what you would do different
- How you expect to promote vegetarianism in college and beyond
- Your future goals
- Your strengths
- Your weaknesses
- Your “perfect” life in five years
- Why you should receive this scholarship
- How you became vegetarian and why you are vegetarian
- How you define vegetarian
- Why vegetarianism is important to you
- What else is important to you
- What vegetarian foods you would recommend to a non-vegetarian
- What restaurants you would recommend to a non-vegetarian
III. Please also attach:
- A copy of your transcripts or report cards for the past two years. (An official copy is not necessary. Photocopies of your report cards will suffice.)
- Three or more recommendations (including at least one teacher).
- Any documentation related to your promotion of vegetarianism in high school and/or community including photographs, newspaper stories, etc.