City of Everett
$6,585 – $8,008 /month (plus excellent benefits)
The City of Everett is accepting applications on an open/competitive basis for the Civil Service examination process for WELDER
This is journey-level welding work involving metal fabrication and repair. Under the direction of the Operations Maintenance Manager or designee, employees in this classification perform a variety of skilled welding tasks including maintenance, fabrication, construction, and repair welding. The work may also include oversight and review of welding or steel fabrication associated with contracts, disassembly/assembly and inspection of metal parts associated with public works, and various City maintenance activities, including work associated with steel structures.
Working for City government is personally rewarding for those looking to make an impact at the community level. As an employer, we advocate for employee professional growth, value work-life balance.
The City of Everett is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and our goal is to recruit and hire capable and engaged job candidates from a diverse range of backgrounds. We are committed to creating and supporting an inclusive and welcoming environment for all employees.
The City provides excellent benefits, including medical, dental, vision, retirement, and basic life insurance plans. Employees will also accrue vacation, sick, and holidays throughout the calendar year. For more information on benefits for this position, visit: https://www.everettwa.gov/1982/Job-Classification-and-Compensation
About the City:
Located 25 miles north of Seattle and nestled between Port Gardner Bay and the Snohomish River, Everett is the largest city in Snohomish County. At a population of more than 110,000, Everett is a small, big city in the heart of the Pacific Northwest. Our community is experienced extensive development on our waterfront and historic downtown with a vibrant arts culture, music scene, innovated dining, breweries, and much more. Pick your choice of recreation activity in the mountains or water and we have it. We are home to Everett Silvertips Hockey Club and the AquaSox minor-league baseball team.
This is an exciting chapter in Everett’s story, and you can be a part of it! Learn more about Everett’s exciting future!
For a full description of this position, please see the class specification on the City’s website (www.everettwa.gov/careers).
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
• Graduation from high school or equivalent, AND completion of a recognized welding apprenticeship program and/or vocational degree, AND one (1) year of experience as a journey-level fabrication welder; OR any equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS OR CERTIFICATIONS
• A Washington Association of Building Officials license as a “Certified Welder” and/or certification by the American Welding Society as a “Certified Welder” is highly desirable.
• Possession of, or ability to obtain within the probationary period, a first aid card with CPR and AED, and forklift certification.
• Possession of a valid driver license at the date of hire, and the ability to obtain and maintain a valid Washington State Driver License within 30 days of hire. Possession of a Washington State Commercial Driver License (CDL) with the necessary required endorsements as prescribed by law is highly desirable.
HOW TO APPLY
• Application materials may be accessed via http://www.everettwa.gov/careers.
• All applicants are required to complete and submit the following:
o The standard City of Everett Application Form.
o The Supplemental Application Form / Welder supplemental questionnaire.
• Applications must be submitted through the City’s online application system by 5:00 p.m. on June 18, 2023 to be considered.
• LATE, INCOMPLETE, FAXED, OR EMAILED APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
• There will be a pre-screening of all applications.
• Responses to the supplemental questionnaire will be individually reviewed and evaluated (weighted 30%).
• Top-scoring applicants will be called to a practical (weighted 70%), tentatively scheduled during mid July 2023.
• All vacancies in this job class will be filled from the ranked Civil Service register established from the examination process for 12 months.
• A passing grade of 70.00 or higher is required on all parts of the screening process for placement on the ranked Civil Service eligible register.
• The examination process is designed to sample and measure the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities.
• Applicants claiming veterans’ preference points in accordance with RCW 41.04.010 as amended and meeting eligibility criteria must submit form DD214 or other official military separation documentation that clearly indicates an honorable discharge from military service on or before the date filing closes.
• Any position requiring a CDL, or the performance of a safety sensitive function will be subject to the City of Everett’s random Drug and Alcohol Policy, per Federal DOT regulations.
• Extensive background checks will be conducted.
• Hiring offers are contingent upon successful completion of a City-paid medical evaluation.
• New hires begin employment at the first step of the salary range.
• This job classification is represented by Everett Municipal Employees Local 113, AFSCME.
Filing Opens: June 2, 2023
Filing Closes: June 18, 2023