City of Everett
The City of Everett is accepting applications on an open/competitive basis for the Civil Service examination process for BUS MAINTENANCE PERSON.
This position is responsible for the custodial maintenance of the interior and exterior of City transit and paratransit vehicles, bus shelters and bus stops. Employees also perform minor servicing tasks on transit vehicles, including buses, such as fueling, charging, and checking and adding fluids to engines, transmissions, and cooling systems. Employees in this classification use standard cleaning tools, equipment, substances, solutions, solvents, waxes, and polishes. The work is performed under the direct administrative and technical supervision of the Transit Operations Program Manager or his/her designee. The Transit Operations Program Manager reviews job performance via periodic oral reports and visual inspections, although some technical assistance and instruction may be provided by Transit Inspectors. This position is subject to the City of Everett’s Drug and Alcohol Policy, per Federal Department of Transportation regulations. Shift work is assigned throughout a 24-hour period.
For a full description of this position, please see the class specification on the website.
Working in the public sector is personally rewarding for those looking to make an impact at the community level. As an employer, the City of Everett advocates for employee professional growth, and values work-life balance. The City provides excellent benefits, including medical, dental, vision, Washington State Department of Retirement Systems pension, and basic life insurance plans. Employees will also accrue vacation, sick, and holidays throughout the calendar year. For more information on benefits for this position, click here: ATU Benefits Guide
The City of Everett is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, and our goal is to recruit and hire capable and engaged job candidates from a diverse range of backgrounds. We are committed to creating and supporting an inclusive and welcoming environment for all employees.
ABOUT THE CITY
Located 25 miles north of Seattle and nestled between Port Gardner Bay and the Snohomish River, Everett is the largest city in Snohomish County. At a population of more than 112,000, Everett is a small, big city in the heart of the Pacific Northwest. Our community has experienced extensive development on our waterfront and historic downtown with a vibrant arts culture, music scene, innovated dining, breweries, and much more. Pick your choice of recreation activity in the mountains or water and we have it. We are home to Everett Silvertips Hockey Club and the AquaSox minor-league baseball team. This is an exciting chapter in Everett’s story, and you can be a part of it! Check out our website to learn more about Everett’s exciting future!
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
Everett Transit is a dynamic group of people providing transportation to an exciting and growing community. Check out how to Transfer your Skills, outlined on the City of Everett Transit webpage! Our Transit Department utilizes the latest model vehicles to operate while competitive pay, excellent benefits and a retirement plan keep you and your family secure! We are looking for people with excellent interpersonal skills, who enjoy providing great customer service and thrive in a team oriented, safety driven environment with a passion for excellence! If that sounds like you – keep on reading!
BUS MAINTENANCE PERSON SALARY RANGE
• $27.04 / hour, 0 – 6 months
• $28.25 / hour, 7 – 12 months
• $29.50 / hour, 13 – 24 months
• $30.81 / hour, 25 – 36 months
• $32.20 / hour, 37+ months
• Longevity Pay, up to $1.09 / hour additional
• Shift differential pay may also apply, in addition to regular pay rate
Must be twenty-one (21) years of age on or before application filing closing date. Must possess an excellent driving record in accordance with departmental standards.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS OR CERTIFICATIONS
• Must possess a valid, unrestricted driver license at the time of hire. Must possess a valid, Washington State Driver License within 30 days of hire.
• Must be able to safely operate transit and paratransit vehicles as required.
• Possession of, Possession of, or the ability to obtain within 30 days of hire, a Washington State Commercial Driver License (CDL) and necessary endorsements associated with transit and paratransit vehicles as prescribed by law.
• Must submit to an extensive background investigation, medical examination, and drug testing.
• Must be able to meet and maintain the medical standards established by federal and state laws, rules, and regulations for commercial drivers.
HOW TO APPLY
• Application materials may be accessed via http://www.everettwa.gov/careers.
• All applicants are required to complete and submit the following:
o The standard City of Everett Application Form.
o Responses to the Supplemental Questionnaires for Bus Maintenance Person*.
*Answers must be detailed and will be the sole source of information used to determine whether you meet the eligibility requirements to move on in this process.
• Applications must be submitted through the City’s online application system by 5:00 p.m. on August 30, 2023 to be considered.
• LATE, INCOMPLETE, FAXED, OR EMAILED APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
• The Supplemental Questionnaire is part of the application (weighed 30%). Answers must be detailed and will be blind rated.
• Responses to the supplemental questionnaire will be individually reviewed and evaluated (weighted 30%).
• Top-scoring applicants will be called to an oral panel interview (weighted 70%), tentatively scheduled for September 12, 2023.
• All vacancies in this job class will be filled from the ranked Civil Service register established from the examination process for 12 months.
• A passing grade of 70.00 or higher is required on all parts of the screening process for placement on the ranked Civil Service eligible register.
• The examination process is designed to sample and measure the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities.
• Applicants claiming veterans’ preference points in accordance with RCW 41.04.010 as amended and meeting eligibility criteria must submit form DD214 or other official military separation documentation that clearly indicates an honorable discharge from military service on or before the date filing closes.
• Extensive background checks will be conducted.
• Any position requiring a CDL or the performance of a safety-sensitive function will be subject to the City of Everett’s random Drug and Alcohol Policy per Federal DOT regulations.
• New hires begin employment at the first step of the salary range.
• This job classification is represented by Everett Municipal Employees Local ATU.
Filing Opens: August 16, 2023
Filing Closes: August 30, 2023