Medical Assisting Program
Helping others is a noble ambition in life, and choosing a medical career offers you endless opportunities to help others in need. The question then becomes, how can you get started in a career in the medical field? Sno-Isle TECH has a program geared toward starting a career in the medical field, and you’ll be on your way to helping people in need.
About the Medical Assisting Course
The Medical Assisting course is a great starting point to begin a long career in the medical field. In this course, you’ll learn the language that doctors, nurses, and health care professionals use on a daily basis. This full course includes a complete curriculum with medical terminology, an administrative focus on the day to day activities of the medical field, basic clinical skills, and the potential for a second semester internship.
Within the full course, students will learn to correctly take blood pressure, body temperature, pulse measurements, monitor respiration, height and weight, perform vision screening, proper surgical scrub, administer CPR, First-Aid, handle medical instruments and perform office skills.
Students in this course will complete an internship during second semester working in a hospital or another clinic setting. A grade of 80% or better is required by completion of first semester to continue the course, and successful completion of a high school health class and biology class are required prior to attending this program. Students can also earn up to 11 free college credits through the EvCC Tech Prep program, by completing this course with a grade of B or better.
Meet the Instructor
Jan Le joins Sno-Isle TECH as a Medical Assisting Instructor. She has dedicated much of her healthcare experience in many different areas of health services ranging from Volunteer Health Management to Health Care Administration in the primary care setting.
She graduated with Magna Cum Laude from San Diego State University with a bachelor’s degree in Biology. She then furthered her education by receiving a master’s degree in Public Health with an emphasis in Global Health in conjunction with the Peace Corps as her field work. She was a Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala and Peru where she worked with the Ministry of Education and Health to build capacity and improve health outcomes in rural villages.
Jan can be contacted via email or by calling her directly @ 425-348-2231.
The Medical Assisting course is designed to offer students hands-on experience and a head-start on a career in the medical field. Beyond the knowledge gained through the course, these additional benefits are available:
- Course Credits – High School Credits: 3.0 (Elective or CTE/Occ. Ed.)
- Dual Credits –
- Everett Community College
- Medical Terminology: HLTH100 – 5.0 credits
- Keyboarding Speed and Accuracy: BT105 – 3 credits
- Introduction to Healthcare: AHE100 – 5 credits
- Medical Terminology: AHE110 – 5 credits
- Safety for Healthcare: AHE120 – 5 credits
- Professional Relationships in Healthcare – 5 credits
- Pacific Northwest College Credit Consortium*
- Everett Community College
The course will be offered at two different times during the day:
First Session: Monday – Friday 7:55-10:25 am
Second Session: Monday – Friday 11:10 am -1:40 pm
- Prerequisites: Successful completion of biology and health in high school
- Textbooks: Language of Medicine 11th edition by Davi-Ellen Chabner ISBN:9780323370813. There will be copies in the classroom, but you are welcome to purchase your own edition if you want to be able to take it home or write in it.
- Required Materials:
- Two 3-ring binders (1 inch and 2 inch)
- USB drive
- Uniform – scrubs and closed toe shoes (slip-resistant)
- Other Resources: The class also utilizes the Applied Educational Systems (AES), an online program used in addition to teaching the anatomy and physiology that goes along with terminology.
- Lab Fee: A fee of $50 will be required for the Healthcare Professional CPR and First Aid class. Students will receive a CPR/First Aid card valid for 2 years after completion of certification.
If your favorite student has wanted to learn from an exceptional instructor and earn credits for a later medical field of study, the Medical Assisting program at Sno-Isle TECH is exactly what they are looking for.